The Reverend Dr. Roy Miller, the Organizing Director of The Better Place, is available to come to your church or community to lead a prayer seminar. The purpose of any such seminar would be to better equip the church to be a house of prayer for the nations.
Following is a list of topics that Rev. Miller is prepared to present. Each topic takes approximately one hour to present. – A seminar may be planned around these for a half day, a full day, a weekend or longer. – Click here for a printable list of these seminars with brief descriptions of each one.
List of Seminar Topics:
- ALTAR MINISTRY
- Praying for people was the foundation of Jesus’ earthly ministry and the core of the early church. It should be as natural a part of our worship services as taking an offering or giving a benediction. – Too often people sit through corporate worship, take in information and leave unchanged and untouched at the point of their specific need. Offering personal ministry during church gives people the opportunity to respond to the gospel– During this seminar Rev. Miller teaches out of two chapters of Terry Teykl’s book, Praying Grace. The topics are “what altar ministry is” and “what altar ministry is not.” Then, using Teykl’s “Grace Prayer Card,” participants are led through a time of learning how to minister in prayer with others at the altar.
- THE FOUR CALLS OF 2 CHRONICLES 7:14 (Four separate presentations that may be done as a series or each topic may stand alone)
- 1. CALL TO HUMILITY
- The call to humility is a call to unity in the Body of Christ. – This is a call to learn to live in harmony as instruments in God’s orchestra where God is the only director. The glory belongs to God, not to individuals, not to local congregations and not to any denomination or apostolic network. – This is about forgiving and blessing.
- 2. CALL TO PRAYER (The ministry of intercession)
- Six principles of effective intercession are developed during this seminar. The first thing an effective intercessor will do is seek God. An effective intercessor will know and use the scriptures in prayer, will know who he or she is in Christ, will be wise to the spiritual battle, will faithfully use the gift of tongues if he or she has that gift and will seek holiness.
- 3. CALL TO SEEK GOD
- Finding and knowing God precedes asking of God in prayer. Knowing about God can promote religion; Knowing God results in transformation. To find and know God we must seek God. – The beginning of seeking is knocking. – To seek God we need Sabbath time.
- 4. CALL TO REPENT
- Before we can get anywhere in prayer we must deal with this dilemma: Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save nor his ear too dull to hear but your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you so that he will not hear (Isaiah 59:1-2). – Judgement begins with the family of God (I Peter 4:17). – We can learn a lesson from Esther; find out what pleases the King and do that thing. Dress for Him and order your life for Him. – When we recognize our wickedness there is a Biblically prescribed process we can follow to be cleansed and set free. This all leads to a God empowered transformation.
- CORPORATE PRAYER
- The term “corporate prayer” is a common way of referring to praying with a group of other believers. If the Church is A House of Prayer for the Nations then the corporate prayer meeting is the engine room of the Church. However, many people stay away from corporate prayer because they have experienced it as lifeless or boring or because they feel awkward in such a setting. – In his book Fresh Encounters, Daniel Henderson says that private prayer and corporate prayer are like the right and left leg of prayer ministry. We need both of them. – Participants in this seminar will be presented with a pattern for corporate prayer that will serve to open the meeting to the life giving presence of the Spirit. Counsel will also be given on how to help the awkward or shy church member to be gladly present at the prayer meeting.
- CURRENT WORLD REALITIES
- This is about Spiritual revival that is resulting in the transformation of cities, regions and even nations on a grand scale. Some of the content of this will always be changing because it truly is about what God is doing presently in the world. – Biblical examples of transformational revival will be cited. Some historic examples will also be cited. As a teaching tool, the Hemet segment of the Sentinel Group Transformations video/DVD (13 minutes) will be shown. Discussion will focus on what prevented city-wide revival and then what enabled that revival.
- DISCERNING OUR CALL TO PRAYER MINISTRY
- Just about every person prays but few think of prayer as a ministry. In fact, prayer is one ministry that all believers are called to. - By examining scriptures on the topic and seeing some practical ways they have been applied and can be applied; participants in this seminar will be both challenged and encouraged.
- HEALING PRAYER
- Everywhere Jesus went proclaiming the Kingdom, he healed the sick. For three years he modeled this style of ministry to his disciples and for three years he trained them to go and continue what he began. As part of their training the twelve were sent out to practice what they were learning and Jesus' commission to them was to preach the Kingdom and heal the sick (Lk. 9:2). Later Jesus sent out seventy disciples with the same commission (Lk. 10:9). As Jesus was preparing to "pass the baton" for his ministry he told his disciples that anyone who has faith in him will do the same things he did (Jn. 14:12). Then, after his resurrection, he commissioned his disciples to go and make disciples throughout the nations and to teach them all that Jesus had taught (Mt. 28:19-20). As we read about the life of the early Church in the Book of Acts we can see that the first believers did, in fact, continue to do just as Jesus had done. – When Jesus said, "be healed" the healing came instantly. Why is healing not always instant for us today? But, once Jesus had to give a blind man a second touch for the man to be completely healed; why? What about the "thorn" in Paul's flesh? – Healing is integral to Jesus' evangelistic method; the method he taught and modeled. It was extremely effective. How can we get back to doing what Jesus modeled and taught?
- HOUSE OF PRAYER
- Jesus referenced Isaiah and declared, My house will be a house of prayer for the nations. We will build this house of prayer by first putting in place a solid foundation made of daily yielding our lives to the Spirit. The basement [also foundational] is a daily one-on-one sabbath time with God. The first floor holds the rooms of prayer partners and small group prayer. The second floor is the grand room of corporate worship and prayer. The attic and room is where the special regional gatherings of many sorts are found. Every part of the house is important if we are to have a complete house but a solid house will begin with the priority of a good foundation and build up from there.
- JESUS OUR MODEL
- Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing....” (John 14:12). As we pay attention to Jesus we will see the importance of fasting, praying and listening to and watching the Father.
- Jesus told a parable (Luke 18) to teach that we should always pray and not give up. On another occasion when a disciple asked Jesus to teach his disciples to Pray (Luke 11) Jesus told another parable to teach the importance of bold, persevering persistence in prayer. This seminar explores seven good reasons to persist in prayer.
- PRAYER AND FINANCES
- Scripture is full of teaching, commands and stories about money and wealth; its’ blessing and its’ pitfalls, proper use and misuse. Jesus taught extensively on money and wealth and Jesus only said what he heard the Father saying so this is clearly a topic for prayer. Scripture is a good guide regarding how we should pray.
- PRAYING GOD’S WORD
- Prayer comes alive when we enter into a two way conversation with God using His word to us in the scriptures. There are many prayers in scripture that we can make our own. Scripture is also filled with promises, prophetic teaching, facts and commands that can turn into prayers. This seminar explores some to the “nuts and bolts” of turning God’s word into prayer.
- PRAYER WALKING PRIMER
- Participants discover how to pray "on site with insight" during this time of teaching and learning. This experience of very practical teaching includes spending some time walking and praying on the streets of the community and then "debriefing" and discussing what was experienced. People who have participated in this workshop have always given it extraordinarily positive reviews on their evaluations forms.
- RELEASING THE POWER THROUGH PRAYER
- Scripture is very clear; incomparably great power is ours in Jesus Christ [Ephesians 1:19]. This seminar takes a look at what this power is for, some of the many avenues that we have for the utilization of this power and the key role of prayer in releasing the power.
- SPIRITUAL FASTING
- This seminar expands on one of the elements in the “Jesus Our Model” seminar; fasting. – A spiritual fast is: To deny one or more desire(s) of the soul or body in order to strengthen the spirit over them. Based on this definition, methods of fasting and reasons for fasting are explored.
- It is always important to wait on God’s time in all things. But sometimes God is more ready to move that we are to believe He will move to respond to our requests. In the Psalms the word “Quickly” shows up frequently in Spirit led prayers in urgent situations. “Quickly” prayers; urgent prayers that God wants to hear and answer tend to find power in times of desperation.
- VIEWER’S GUIDE TO The Quickening
- Rev. Miller has written a guide to help viewers pick out some of the key points of this teaching video on revival that was produced by the Sentinel Group. Key statements that are made in the video presentation are quoted on the Guide with some missing words where the viewer must pay careful attention to fill in the blanks. This is used during seminars and workshops as an aid to discussion the content of the video.
- VIEWER’S GUIDE TO Transformations AND TO Transformations II
- Just as with the Guide to The Quickening, these Guides serve to help participants pay closer attention to these videos by the Sentinel Group that document city-wide revivals and national revivals. These Guides are used during seminars and workshops as aids to discussion and understanding of the content of the videos.
- VISION FOR TRANSFORMATION
- In the beginning, God made a "very good" creation. It is not very good anymore. Since the Fall, God has revealed His will and plan to transform all of creation. Scripture reveals this design of God in a number of places. As participants are led through God's revelation regarding His vision for a transformed world, strategies and direction for prayer ministry emerge.
- WHY YOU CAN PRAY WITH AUTHORITY
- This is designed to help the participants do battle with doubt, unbelief and double-mindedness so they can pray with confidence and great positive effect.
To schedule a seminar call or email Rev. Miller at 716-488-9918, .
Minimum remuneration requested is $200 per morning (any time between breakfast and lunch), $200 per afternoon (any time between lunch and dinner) and $200 per evening (any time after the evening dinner meal). And also:
- Reimbursement of round-trip travel (Mileage to be reimbursed at the current IRS rate).
- Provision for meals during the event and/or reimbursement for meals during the event and during travel to and from the event.
- Provision for lodging during the event (if necessary) and/or reimbursement for lodging during the event and lodging related to travel to and from the event (if necessary).
Master copies of any note-taking handouts or Seminar workbook materials will be sent to the host organization prior to the event so the host can make sufficient copies to distribute to all participants at the event.